Tuesday, June 10, 2014

6-6-14


                                                                                                                                                                                                          

 The entirety of this week has been focused on training the new interns (and refreshing the old ones) on the processes and activities of camp life. Sunday and Monday was a training event in Orlando with all 39 interns as an introduction to the program. We covered many basic aspects of working with children, and also played a multitude of “get to know each other” games.











The rest of the week days were composed of Fishing, Archery and Kayaking back home on our campus, while Friday was spent training the CITs (Councilors in Training) the same concepts we learned the previous weekend during the aforementioned intern retreat.             
                                                                               
The interns practicing cast-netting for fishing camp! 

Thursday nights always consist of Bible study and fellowship at the Sloan’s house, which is huge, gorgeous, and clean on the inside. Although I normally find the actual event to be slightly boring, I actually do enjoy spending time with my friends and then having refreshments (cookies and brownies) afterwards. This week at the end of Bible study, during the time in which we would share any prayer requests or praises from this week, I asked for prayer for my boyfriend Jon, who had just the day before been attacked by two dogs with the clear intention of killing him. Had it not been for his dogs witnessing the attack from within his home and thus breaking down his front door and coming to his aid, he could easily have been mauled to death. I could have lost him in a split second, and the worst part of it is that there is absolutely nothing I could have done to stop it. In fact, I would not have known anything about it at all because I am so far away from him being here at camp.

But perhaps what is most incredible about the entire story is that the first of the three dogs that had come to his rescue that day was a dog named Blue, who had only been in Jon’s house for only a week before this all happened. Blue was a foster that found himself in and out of houses and finally ended up with Jon permanently just last week. Needless to say, Blue has proved his rank in the pack by protecting the man who was kind enough to rescue and house him. I’m just glad to see that Jon walked   away from the ordeal just slightly bruised and shaken up. He did incur a bite wound that is several inches    deep, but it turned out so much better than it could    have, and for that I am so thankful.

The heroes (from left to right): Blue, Gemma and Lucky)  


*EDIT 6-8-14*
I visited Jon for dinner last night and found his injuries to be healing well.
We thank you for your continued prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment