Being away from my family and friends for the entire summer
is something that I have grown accustomed to, given that I have found myself
involved in summer camp ministry every year since I was too old to attend as a
camper. The purpose of this newsletter is to keep my family (and any curious
friends) informed about my life while I’m away. It’s a good way for me to
organize my summer (because you would be surprised how much can really take
place in 10 weeks) and to keep in touch with those I normally wouldn't have
much time to contact throughout the week. The vast majority of the content of
this writing was created late at night, after the day’s events have ended, when
I actually have some free time to sit and type. My intention was to release an
email newsletter out each Sunday to anyone interested in knowing what I’m doing
out here. Unfortunately, I am not always in an area with WiFi connection, and
so it may be difficult to turn these out on time. I will do my best to make additions as I write them and WiFi is available.
Mission Immersion 2006
From 2006 until the present, I have never missed a year of
summer camp at Riverside Retreat. My first year as a counselor was in 2010 when
I was 16, and I worked with 3
rd-5
th graders, which is the
youngest age group our camp caters to. I worked with that particular age until
2013 when I was moved to the middle school group. This year, rather than being
responsible for any one particular age category, I have been given the title of
worship and lifeguard coordinator. This makes me more of an extra set of hands
for any (and all) of the groups, which are all on the campus simultaneously. I
will be present at each praise/worship event for all age groups, running the
audio/visuals and making sure the service goes smoothly by collaborating and
coordinating with the worship leaders and speakers. I will also be responsible
to attend each water activity with every age group, and to coordinate the
lifeguards between the pool and kayaking. I like the idea of being more
flexible between age groups rather than stuck in one spot for the whole summer,
and I expect everything to run well.
No comments:
Post a Comment